about 1890 as the Belvidere House (also recorded as the Belvidere
Hotel), the building at 513 North Main St. saw several owners
and numerous tenants over the decades. Street-level shops
catered mostly to automobile service.
Around 1900, it became the "Windsor House", perhaps in an attempt to capitalize on name of the larger Windsor Hotel, farther south on Main Street, in the Iron Front building.
Below is a circa 1910 photo promoting the Montana Phonograph Co., which leased space in the building. Francis X. "Frank" Buser (1863-1911) was the local representative for the Edison Phonograph Co. Buser died of a series of strokes in 1911, and is buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.
was purchased in 1911 by local entrepreneur Albin D. Mitchell (1845-1938) from the Conrad-Stanford Co. It then became
known as the Mitchell Block. In its
final years, it housed the Dawn Hotel.