Blackstone Apartments
206 West Lawrence - since 1915

Blackstone Apartments, circa 1930 and 2011


COURTESY OF TOM MULVANEY • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW



PHOTO BY KENNON BAIRD • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

The Blackstone was built in 1915 by the Lawrence Company, a subsidiary of the local Lewis Penwell Company. The Penwell Company was heavily invested in sheep and cattle ranching, water and real estate.

Montana native Lewis Penwell (1869-1948) was also President of the Independent Publishing Co., publishers of the Helena Independent newspaper, and served as U. S. Collector of Internal Revenue for Montana for fourteen years. Naturally, he was also involved in state politics, and from 1932 to 1937 published The Western Progressive, a liberal farm-labor weekly newspaper.

Penwell died in Tempe, Arizona in 1948, and is buried in Helena's Forestvale Cemetery.

 

The Blackstone Withstood the 1935 'Quakes


 

West Lawrence Entryway, 2011


PHOTO BY KENNON BAIRD • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW



PHOTO BY KENNON BAIRD

 

Blackstone Apartments Hallway, Date Unknown