Montana Governors' Mansion, near the Capitol at 2
N. Carson Street. It was built in 1959 for $347,000 (about
$2,300,000 in today's dollars), and furnished and decorated
by Shirley Kemp Gannon for $58,000 (about $390,000 today). The
house was designed by architect Chandler C. Cohagen of Billings.
The front door faces east but the house is oriented to the north,
with floor-to-ceiling windows looking over the Helena Valley.
was built by Mel Buck Construction on land donated by C.F.
Mueller of Helena, who lived in the neighborhood. There were
problems during construction; at one point, delays, cost overruns
and the use of low-grade materials had a Montana House of
Representatives committee threaten to turn the building into
the headquarters for the highway patrol.
here for a 2005 Independent Record story about the Mansion.