High School on Wheels
1935 to 1937


Railway Coaches on E. Lyndale Ave.


COURTESY OF RICHARD SMITH • CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

A few weeks after the October/November 1935 earthquakes nearly destroyed the new Helena High School on Rodney Street, a section of East Lyndale Avenue two blocks north of the High School was closed, and tracks were laid there to accomodate coaches donated by both the Great Northern and Northern Pacific railway companies for use as classrooms. They were in use from December 1935 to June 1937.


COURTESY OF WENDI KOTTAS PETERSON • CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW


Site of the Railcar High School



From the Helena Daily Independent...



 

Railcar classroom entrances


COURTESY OF WENDI KOTTAS PETERSON



Railcar classrooms in winter, 1935-36


COLLECTION OF NANCY GOODSPEED

Photo by Gene Goodspeed, class of 1937.



Activities Ticket, 1935-36


COURTESY OF WENDI KOTTAS PETERSON

 

 

Students on Their Way to Class

 





Railcar Classroom Interior
Drafting Class


COURTESY OF WENDI KOTTAS PETERSON

 


First Aid in the "High School on Wheels"


COLLECTION OF NANCY GOODSPEED

School nurse Ethel M. Dietrick (1880-1973) is shown attending to a shin problem.

 

 

Vision Testing in the Home Economics Car


COLLECTION OF NANCY GOODSPEED

Nurse Ethel M. Dietrick tests a pupil's vision, 1935-36.

 

 

Mr. Anderson's Reed Instruments Class


COLLECTION OF NANCY GOODSPEED

This wonderful photo was taken by School Nurse Ethel M. Dietrick.

 


Students Form the Letter "H", 1935-36


COLLECTION OF NANCY GOODSPEED



Railcar Classrooms Out of Service, 1937


COURTESY OF TRUDY ERICKSON

 

Railcar Classrooms Out of Service, 1937


COURTESY OF TRUDY ERICKSON • CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

Looking east on E. Lyndale Ave. Some of the cars have been moved away.

 

Go back to SCHOOLS