Store for Men
125-27 North Main St.
Photos Courtesy of Earl, Rosemary and Charles Jacoby, via Marla
above is the Beveridge Block, 123-27 North Main, circa 1898.
From 1921 to 1940, it was home to (Joseph) Bossler's Store for
Men, which was bought in 1940 by Bossler's partner, Earl "Duke"
Jacoby. The Beveridge Block was demolished by the "Urban
Renewal" program of the 1970s.
of transition, Earl Jacoby continued to operate using the Bossler
name until the summer of 1941, after which the name "Jacoby's
Store for men" appears in all advertising...
All Photos Courtesy of Rosemary and Charles Jacoby
via Marla Jacoby
of the Jacoby Family in Helena, 1964 Independent Record Ad
on Image to Open a Big Version in a New Window
and Employees, 1970s
to right: Earl "Duke" Jacoby ( 1898-1983); unnamed;
Charles Jacoby; tailor Frank C. Polich (1916-1994).
"Duke" Jacoby; Warner Anderson; Frank C. Polich
"Urban Renewal" Forces Move, 1972
|In the early
to mid-1970s, many of downtown Helena's historic Victorian buildings
were razed by the Federal "Urban Renewal" program, and
the Beveridge Block was no exception. In 1972, Jacoby's moved
to 329 N. Main, where the Jorud Photo Shop had been located for
decades. Jacoby's was in business there until at least 1980.
"Chuck" Jacoby an Avid Model-builder
restored the USS Helena Model Ship which is on display in the
Helena City County Building. The project took two years to research
for accuracy and about three years to complete, after the original
model was smashed after falling off the wall in the City County
back to STORES, OFFICES, ETC.