Shaw's Food Products
Manufactured at 424 Harrison Avenue, ca. 1893-ca. 1916
All Images Courtesy of Nancy Sidor Mayer
Founded by Ohio Native and local entrepreneur Georgw Washington Shaw (1843-1913) in about 1893, Shaw's Best produced popular pancake flour and baking powder in Helena until about 1916. Manufacturing was done in a stone barn, which still stands in back of the former Shaw home at 424 Harrsion Avenue. Some of Shaw's original equipment remains inside the barn.
Please click here to open a biography of George Washington Shaw, by Abby Shaw Pope, in PDF format.
For a PDF format file of a 1964 letter written by Geroge Shaw's grandson about the business, please click here.
George Shaw Obituary
Click on image to open a big version in a new window
Harrison St. Barn
An Unpopular Product?
|Shaw's Breakfast Food, probably also marketed as Shaw's Best Wheat Cream-lets, is curiously missing from period newspaper advertising, unlike the pancake flour and baking soda which were heavily advertised and evidently very popular.
Advertising Ephemera, ca. 1900