plans for St. Peter's Hospital were made in 1883, but it was
not until the next year that the hospital became a reality.
The first building was wood frame, and known as the Grange.
A miner, named Robinson, was the first patient. In December
of 1884, the hospital was moved to the Holter building, shown
below, near the intersection of Jackson and Grand...
later a non-profit organization was formed and, under the
untiring direction of Mrs. L. R. (Henrietta) Brewer, a building
was erected specifically for a Hospital in 1887, near the
intersection of 11th Ave. and Logan St...
1887 St. Peter's Hospital
OF SCOTT NELSON - THE
Hospital, ca. 1890. Located near the intersection of 11th Ave.
and Logan St., this structure suffered damage in a 1901 fire.
The damage was mostly confined to the uppermost parts of the
building. By 1901, need had outgrown the facilities, and the
fire (in which no one was injured) added urgency to the need
for a more modern facility. Mrs. Henrietta Brewer began the
campaign that was to result In an enlarged building. Unfortunately
she did not live to see its completion.
An Account of the 1901 Fire
Courtesy of Helena Fire Chief Sean Logan
ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW
After the 1901 Fire
The Henriettea Brewer Memorial Building
the 1887 building are seen in this ca. 1911 view of the new
Henrietta Brewer Building, taken from the NE corner of 11th
Ave. and Logan.
| This 1910
view, taken from 11th. Ave., shows the Henrietta Brewer Memorial
Building from the northwest. Note the stone retaining wall under
construction. Several additions were made to this building over
the decades, the last in 1957. It was demolished in 1973. Note
the covered walkway between the new and old buildings.
Hospital, 1911. Taken from the same spot as the previous photo,
this image shows the completed stone retaining wall and steps.
In 1932, the Conrad Kohrs Memorial wing was added; it extended
west from this building, occupying the space where we see the
long flight of steps and the covered walkway.
from 11th Avenue, 1920s
OF SEAN LOGAN
Girls Wearing Flu
Masks, Winter of 1918-1919
of Mercury Unearthed Near Site of Old St. Peter's
OF SCOTT NELSON - THE
wooden box containing corked vials of mercury was unearthed
during construction of the new St. Paul's Methodist Church building,
adjacent to the site of the old hospital. The area was apparently
used as a hospital refuse heap, as other medical items were
also recovered. Remnants of a paper label on the box advised
taking the mercury internally for stomach maladies. Don't do
Conrad Kohrs Memorial Building
1950-51 view from 11th Avenue
OF HELEN MARGARET GRANT
COURTESY OF WENDI KOTTAS PETERSON
11th Ave. doorway to the Kohrs Memorial wing, now gone.
Kohrs (nee Augusta Kruse) in memory of her husband, provided
more than $100,000.00 for a new surgical wing. It was designed
by noted architect Cass
Gilbert, in the popular Mission Style.
the adjacent Perkins home for Nurses was erected with money
provided by Mr. and Mrs. Jamieson Perkins. The following year,
a modern home for the remainder of the staff was provided
through the generosity of Mrs. Harry W. Child.
major addition was made until 1957 when an additional wing
was built with $100,000.00 willed to the hospital by George
Cormack. It was the final addition to the complex.
Hospital moved to a new faciltiy the east side of Helena in
1968. The old Henrietta Brewer building was used for several
years as office space, but was torn down in July of 1973.
Affordable housing for the elderly was built on the site by
Security Pacific, Inc. (now Security Properties Inc.), of
of the Henrietta Brewer Memorial Building, 1973
Scan of an Independent
Record newspaper photo.